Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mama...... is a pushover.

For the first time in what feels like an eternity, I got to snuggle alone with my boy tonight before bed. Kim has taken on the bedtime duties since Paisley's arrival, and I've been missing those sweet nightime snuggles.

We sat in the dark on the couch in his room, him on my lap with his arms around me, and I realized it was one of those moments I'll never forget. No apparent reason, just silence and the snuggles. Finally, he said "Mama, you sing me songs."

"You want me to sing me your nightime songs?"
"Yes, Mama."
"Ok, I'll sing you your nighttime songs, and then it's time for you to go to sleep in your bed, ok?"
"Ok, Mama."
So together we sang ABC's, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Away in the Manger like we do every night. As soon as we were done:

"Mama, I hungry."
"We already ate dinner, it's time for bed."
"Mama, I want water."
"No need for water now, it's time for bed."
"Mama, I want Daddy."
"We already said goodnight to Daddy, it's time for bed."
"Mama, I want Zyan."
"Time for bed."
"Mama, I want socks."
??? He has a point there, he didn't have socks on. But I was on to his game.
"It's time for bed Adlai, time for sleep."
"Mama, I want to go to the beach."

As hard as it was, I refrained from laughing hysterically and congratulating him on his hard work, creativity, and refusal to give up. Then I carried him to his bed and said goodnight one last time.

And somehow, that determined little 2 year old is on the couch with Kim and Zyan watching a movie and eating popcorn at this very moment.

2 comments:

Minerva said...

I wonder if socks are a 2 year old obsession. My 2 year old flipped out about holding (just holding, not wearing!) a pair of socks just this morning. :)

Cassy_B said...

:) I can picture every moment of this story and his perfectly scratchy little voice and his full lips pursed with every request. And because I can picture THAT I know why he ended up on the couch... he is TOO CUTE.